Japan-owned UK glass factory could shut if no buyer found, risking 250 jobs
A glass factory in Wigan that produces fibreglass for electric cars and wind turbines faces closure and the loss of 250 jobs unless its Japanese owner can find a new partner or a buyer.In the latest blow to Britain’s industrial base, Nippon Electric Glass (NEG) announced a “strategic review” of its composites business Electric Glass Fiber UK (EGF), which it expects to last approximately two months, putting about 250 jobs at risk.NEG said its UK composites arm had been “facing a challenging competitive environment with high prices for raw materials, energy, and logistics costs” that had led to “sluggish sales”.The company added: “This review is part of our ongoing efforts to recover performance.”The Wigan site produces fibreglass that is used to reinforce plastic for composites found in wind turbine blades and electric cars
US added 228,000 jobs in March despite Trump’s deep cuts to federal workforce
The US added 228,000 jobs in March, far more than expected, as the US economy shook off the blow from the Trump administration’s deep cuts to federal workers.The figure was up from an adjusted 117,000 jobs added in February. Unemployment rose slightly to 4.2%.Economists anticipated 140,000 jobs would be added in March 2025, a slight decrease from February and a continued decline from the monthly average of 167,000 jobs over the past 12 months
BP chair to resign amid pressure from shareholders over green agenda
The chair of BP has announced plans to step down from the struggling oil company after growing shareholder opposition derailed its net zero agenda.The oil company said on Friday that Helge Lund planned to leave his post “in due course” once a successor has joined the board, which would “most likely” be in 2026.His decision to step down from the role, which he has held since 2019, comes after the board was forced to reverse the company’s green agenda to defend it against Elliott, a feared New York hedge fund known for its attempts to shake up listed companies.Elliot began to build a multibillion-pound stake in BP earlier this year after growing dissatisfaction among shareholders over the company’s plan to curb its fossil fuel production in favour of green investments.It was widely expected that the activist investor would call for a boardroom shake-up at BP, including the ousting of Lund, who played a leading role in setting the green agenda that ultimately failed to convince shareholders
Global markets in turmoil as Trump tariffs wipe $2.5tn off Wall Street
Global financial markets have been plunged into turmoil as Donald Trump’s escalating trade war knocked trillions of dollars off the value of the world’s biggest companies and heightened fears of a US recession.As world leaders reacted to the US president’s “liberation day” tariff policies demolishing the international trading order, about $2.5tn (£1.9tn) was wiped off Wall Street and share prices in other financial centres across the globe.Experts said Trump’s sweeping border taxes of between 10% and 50% on the US’s traditional allies and enemies alike had dramatically added to the risk of a steep global downturn and a recession in the world’s biggest economy
IMF warns of ‘significant risk’ to global economy from Trump tariffs as markets plunge
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned that Donald Trump’s implementation of swingeing tariffs poses a “significant risk” to the global economy, as stock markets were hit by a punishing worldwide sell-off by investors.Kristalina Georgieva, the managing director of the IMF, said it was important that the US and its trading partners avoided further escalating Trump’s trade war, while stock markets plunged on Friday as China retaliated against the tariffs.“We are still assessing the macroeconomic implications of the announced tariff measures, but they clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook at a time of sluggish growth,” Georgieva said.“It is important to avoid steps that could further harm the world economy. We appeal to the United States and its trading partners to work constructively to resolve trade tensions and reduce uncertainty
‘There are no winners’: global companies respond to Trump tariffs
Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs will upend global trade, adding costs and delays to businesses around the world and threatening a recession.The Guardian spoke to eight businesses about the impact.On the Italian island of Sardinia, makers of pecorino, the hard, salty sheep’s milk cheese, were digesting news of Trump’s tariffs. Up to 70% of their product is exported to the US.“We need to understand it better and wait and see if they really mean 20%, but obviously it has created some imbalance,” says Salvatore Pala, president of OP Unione Pastori, an association representing the island’s sheep and goat farmers
Don’t weaken online safety laws for UK-US trade deal, campaigners urge
Floppy disks and vaccine cards: exhibition tells tale of privacy rights in UK
UK government tries to placate opponents of AI copyright bill
Tesla quarterly sales slump 13% amid backlash against Elon Musk
Italian police increase security at Tesla dealerships after 17 cars destroyed in Rome fire
Roblox gives parents more power over children’s activity on gaming platform
‘In economic terms, Trump’s tariffs make no sense at all’
From world leaders, to the tiniest manufacturers thousands of miles from Washington, decision-makers across the global economy are racked with uncertainty as they scramble to come to terms with Donald Trump’s historic tariffs.Experts are all but unanimous that the impact on global growth of Wednesday’s extraordinary Rose Garden press conference will be negative – but just how bad remains highly uncertain.“In economic terms, it makes no sense at all,” said Jordi Gual, the former chair of CaixaBank, Spain’s largest domestic lender, who is now an economics professor at IESE business school in Barcelona. “It is hugely problematic, because we go back to a level we hadn’t seen since the 1930s.”Trump’s announcement that he would impose tariffs of 10% to almost 50% on the US’s largest trading partners – including a 34% additional border tax on Chinese imports and a 10% levy on the UK – was designed to encourage multinational companies to relocate their factories, jobs and supply chains to the US
China retaliates against Trump in trade war with 34% tariffs on US imports
Stock markets around the world plunged for a second day on Friday as China announced retaliatory tariffs of 34% on US imports, signalling a major escalation of a trade war ignited by Donald Trump and feeding fears of a global recession.“For all imported goods originating from the US, an additional tariff of 34% on top of the current applicable tariff rate will be imposed,” Beijing’s finance ministry said.China’s commerce ministry said that it would also impose more restrictions on the export of rare earths, which are used in hi-tech manufacturing such as batteries and electric vehicles. It added a further 16 US companies and organisations to its export control list, meaning that Chinese companies are restricted from doing business with them.China had previously promised “resolute countermeasures” against Trump’s tariffs, which slapped a 10% rate on all imports coming to the US, with extra levies for certain countries, including China
Blanket ban on teen smartphone use ‘potentially detrimental’, says academic
A leading academic tasked by the UK government with reviewing the effects of smartphones on teenagers has suggested blanket bans are “unrealistic and potentially detrimental”.Amy Orben, from the University of Cambridge, will lead the work on children and smartphone use that has been commissioned by the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT) along with a team of other academics from a number of UK universities.Ministers have so far been resistant to implementing any new legal restrictions on social media and smartphones for children that goes further than the current Online Safety Act, which clamps down on harmful content.Some MPs have been pushing for further restrictions that go beyond harmful content – including on access to social media for those under 16, full bans on smartphones in schools or restrictions on social media algorithms that are able to train addictive content on young teenagers.In a paper Orben published this week with four co-authors in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), they said bans and restrictions were unlikely to be effective – though they did advocate for children and teens to have phone-free spaces
Meta faces £1.8bn lawsuit over claims it inflamed violence in Ethiopia
Meta faces a $2.4bn (£1.8bn) lawsuit accusing the Facebook owner of inflaming violence in Ethiopia after the Kenyan high court said a legal case against the US tech group could go ahead.The case brought by two Ethiopian nationals calls on Facebook to alter its algorithm to stop promoting hateful material and incitement to violence, as well as hiring more content moderators in Africa. It is also seeking a $2
County Championship return heralds celebration of past and hope for future
Tearful send-off for Warwickshire’s operations manager after 52 years symbolises spirit that must be preservedThe County Championship returned under splendid spring sunshine on Friday and all it took was a quick glance around the grounds — or a scroll through social media and the Guardian’s live blog — to challenge the notion of a competition struggling for relevance.It may have been pushed to the bookends of summer, and be due for its umpteenth review in the coming months, but in some ways the Championship feels more important than ever. As private money reshapes the sport, accelerating the rise of a dystopian year-round T20 circuit, it remains a vital touchstone: 135 years of unrivalled history and heritage that has only ever paused for two world wars and a pandemic.Before Zak Crawley heard the stumplosion behind him at Northampton, and Yorkshire collapsed at Hampshire on their first day under Jonny Bairstow’s leadership, that history felt very much embodied by one man at Edgbaston. As well as welcoming their first round opponents, Sussex, who closed on 386-5, Warwickshire were saying farewell to their cricket operations manager, Keith Cook, after nearly 52 years of service
Iroko has perfect profile for Grand National as Gina Bryce makes history
The betting tells you all you really need to know about the 2025 Grand National at Aintree. Any one of at least half a dozen runners could end up favourite by 4pm on Saturday, and at least half of the 34-strong field are on offer at 33-1 or shorter, which in the context of such a competitive race is very much the price of a horse with a realistic chance.In other words, it is still the race that it was conceived to be almost two centuries ago: a celebration of semi-random uncertainty that even the most serious students of the form book can only ever hope to unravel with a fair slice of luck.It is also, in a sense, two races in one, with a mixture of experienced, proven stayers with form already in the book that makes them obvious contenders, and a host of rivals at the other end of their chasing careers, with more than enough scope for further improvement to make the most of a relatively light weight.Several leading names in the betting – including Hyland, Grangeclare West, Senior Chief and Three Card Brag – arrive at Aintree with just the official minimum of six starts in chases needed to qualify for a run
UK politics: Starmer warns Trump’s US tariffs not just ‘short-term tactical exercise’ – as it happened
After Doge come Doze and Dope | Brief letters
Labour tries to seem in control while The Donald unleashes chaos on the world | John Crace
Keir Starmer accuses Reform UK of ‘fawning over Putin’
Reeves defends Labour’s £40bn tax rise as businesses prepare for NICs hike
Starmer sails through PMQs as Badenoch fails to get out of the blocks again | John Crace