NEWS NOT FOUND

Consultancy co-founded by Peter Mandelson falls into administration
The consultancy co-founded by Peter Mandelson has collapsed into administration, after a number of clients cut ties with the company over the former ambassador’s relationship with the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.Global Counsel, which Mandelson co-founded in 2010, said on Friday that it had stopped trading and its staff in the UK were being made redundant.The London-based company employs about 100 people, the vast majority of whom are based in the UK. It also has employees in Berlin, Brussels, Doha and Singapore.Administrators at Interpath said Global Counsel had “no option” but to enter administration after a number of its clients cut ties with the business, despite its attempts to distance itself from Mandelson and its other co-founder, Benjamin Wegg-Prosser

Reform UK’s Matt Goodwin faced GB News complaint over colleague’s claim of ‘inappropriate comments’
Matt Goodwin, Reform UK’s candidate in the Gorton and Denton byelection, was accused by a young woman working at GB News of making inappropriate comments which she viewed as sexually harassing, the Guardian can reveal.The junior staffer complained to HR last year alleging Goodwin had made inappropriate comments, one regarding her appearance, sources say. Goodwin, 44, volunteered an apology after the complaint had been raised.The woman is understood to have complained to the network’s HR department in 2025. She later left the network for unrelated reasons

Labour minister falsely linked journalists to ‘pro-Kremlin’ network in emails to GCHQ
A Labour minister who claimed to be “surprised” and “furious” at a PR agency’s work to investigate journalists on his behalf had been personally involved in naming them to British intelligence officials and falsely linking them to pro-Russian propaganda, the Guardian can reveal.Josh Simons, who was running the thinktank Labour Together at the time, was also involved in telling security officials that another journalist was “living with” the daughter of a former adviser to Jeremy Corbyn. Officials were told by Simons’ team that the former adviser was “suspected of links to Russian intelligence”.The extraordinary disclosures are contained in emails that Simons and his chief of staff at Labour Together sent to the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), a division of the spy agency GCHQ, in 2024. A spokesperson for Simons, a Cabinet Office minister, said: “These claims are untrue

UK reports record-breaking budget surplus of £30.4bn in surprise boost for Rachel Reeves
The UK government has posted the biggest ever budget surplus, official figures show, after a large increase in self-assessment and capital gains tax receipts.In a boost for the chancellor, Rachel Reeves, in the run-up to her spring statement next month, public sector finances recorded a surplus of £30.4bn in January, according to the Office for National Statistics. This was double the surplus recorded in January 2025.The figure is the largest monthly total since records began in 1993 and much higher than the forecast of £24bn made by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the government’s official forecaster, and a poll of City economists

Appointment of Antonia Romeo as head of civil service shows ‘poor judgment’, say former colleagues
Keir Starmer’s decision to appoint Antonia Romeo as the country’s most senior civil servant has prompted dismay among former colleagues who complained about what they considered bullying behaviour when she was a diplomat in New York.Several people who worked with Romeo at the New York consulate nearly 10 years ago have told the Guardian they are upset by the prime minister’s decision to make her cabinet secretary despite knowing about their complaints.The allegations from several colleagues were made as part of one formal complaint against Romeo in 2017. That complaint was investigated by a senior diplomat who found that she had a case to answer, but was then dismissed by her line managers at the Cabinet Office, who gave her the all clear.The complaint has resurfaced in recent days after Simon McDonald, the former lead civil servant at the Foreign Office, urged the prime minister to do more due diligence before making his decision

Starmer appoints Antonia Romeo as Britain’s first female cabinet secretary – UK politics live
The Times is reporting that Donald Trump issued his latest diatribe about the UK’s Chagos Islands deal (see 9.34am) because Keir Starmer is not letting the US use Diego Garcia to bomb Iran.In their story, Oliver Wright, George Grylls and Geraldine Scott say:double quotation markThe White House is drawing up detailed military plans for a strike against Iran involving the use of both Diego Garcia and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire, which is home to America’s fleet of heavy bombers in Europe.Under the terms of long-standing agreements with Washington, these bases can only be used for military operations that have been agreed in advance with the government.The Times understands that the UK is yet to give permission for the US to use the bases in the event that Trump orders a strike on Iran, owing to concerns that it would be a breach of international law which makes no distinction between a state carrying out the attack and those in support if the latter have “knowledge of the circumstances of the internationally wrongful act”

Hospitality workers: tell us about the worst or rudest customers you ever dealt with

Art and antiques help lift retail sales in Great Britain to biggest monthly rise since 2024

France and Germany agreed to build the fighter jet of the future. Now they can’t agree who is in charge

Are you sitting uncomfortably? | Letter

UK manufacturing still beset by low orders and price pressure, says CBI

Oil prices rise amid fears of US strikes on Iran – as it happened