How Tesla became a battleground for political protest
Percy Pig’s US adventure may be short-lived as M&S responds to Trump tariffs
Percy Pig’s US invasion could be called to a halt amid fears that Donald Trump’s tariffs could affect sales of Marks & Spencer’s popular confectionery brand which has just launched in Target stores across the Atlantic.Archie Norman, the chair of M&S, has described Percy as the retailer’s “gift to America” but he told the Retail Technology Show in London that “we might have to change our minds” as Trump imposes additional taxes on imported goods. While M&S is not considering withdrawing the sweets, tariffs could push up prices and make them less popular.The pink confectionery which sells more than 18m bags a year in the UK and is apparently enjoyed by celebrities including Adele and Olivia Rodrigo, went on sale in the US on 30 March both in Target stores across the US and on its website in what was described as Percy’s “biggest journey to date”.The US president on Wednesday announced sweeping tariffs on imports, including a 10% tariff on those coming from the UK
Co-op to open at least 120 more grocery shops after profits rise five-fold
The Co-operative Group plans to open at least a further 120 grocery shops this year after profits rose more than fivefold, but told the government that “layering costs” on retailers could hit high streets and communities.The mutual, which owns more than 800 funeral parlours and an insurance and legal advisory business as well as operating more than 2,000 convenience shops, said changes to employers’ national insurance contributions (NICs) and packaging regulations were expected to add £80m to its costs this year. It also lost £80m to shoplifters last year despite spending millions on new security measures.The business is introducing technology including electronic shelf-edge pricing and expanding its fast-track online grocery deliveries – where sales soared 46% last year to £460m – to help offset higher labour costs.The Co-op’s chief executive, Shirine Khoury-Haq, said: “We understand the government has a tough job, but it should look at layering of costs on the industry so it doesn’t tip over the balance and impact high streets
Tesla quarterly sales slump 13% amid backlash against Elon Musk
Tesla reported a 13% drop in vehicle sales in the first three months of the year, making it the electric vehicle maker’s worst quarter since 2022. It’s another sign that Elon Musk’s once high-flying electric car company is struggling to attract buyers.The drop is probably due to a combination of factors, including its ageing lineup, competition from rivals and a backlash from Musk’s embrace of rightwing politics. It also is a warning that the company’s first-quarter earnings report later this month could disappoint investors.Tesla reported deliveries of 336,681 vehicles globally in the January-March quarter
Italian police increase security at Tesla dealerships after 17 cars destroyed in Rome fire
Italy’s interior ministry has written to police forces across the country to increase security at Tesla dealerships after 17 of the electric cars made by Elon Musk’s company were destroyed in a fire in Rome.Italy’s state police anti-terrorism unit, Digos, is investigating whether the fire at the Tesla dealership in Torre Angela, a suburb in the east of the capital, was started by anarchists.Firefighters worked for hours to put out the blaze in the early hours of Monday. Drone images showed a row of the burnt-out remains of the vehicles in a parking area of the dealership. Using his social media platform, X, Musk referred to it as “terrorism”
PGA Tour stands firm on golf reunification despite Saudi $1.5bn offer
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has failed in an attempt to persuade the PGA Tour to deliver serious concessions in exchange for a $1.5bn (£1.14bn) investment, leaving elite golf no closer to reconciliation just days from the season’s first major.The PGA Tour’s stance will give credence to the rising sense that the organisation has increasing confidence in its position after a turbulent period caused by the formation of the Saudi-backed LIV Tour.Sources indicate that in correspondence sent to the PGA Tour last week, the PIF sought assurances the LIV circuit could continue to operate and that its governor, Yasir al-Rumayyan, could take a place as co-chairman of PGA Tour Enterprises
Big matchups and bigger bucks: Michael Johnson pledges Grand Slam Track will bring ‘fantasy to life’
Athletics legend says his new four-part event, which launches on Friday, is exactly what the sport needsMichael Johnson is one of the few true legends of track and field. Now, though, he is chasing the holy grail. Every four years, athletics is the biggest sport at the Olympics. In between, for most casual fans, it tumbles off a cliff. But Johnson, a four-time gold medallist across the Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney Games, believes he can change all that with a new big-money professional track league, Grand Slam Track, which launches on Friday in Kingston, Jamaica
Tata redundancy scheme targeted older, non-Indian nationals in UK, tribunal hears
What Trump’s tariffs could mean for UK consumers
Floppy disks and vaccine cards: exhibition tells tale of privacy rights in UK
UK government tries to placate opponents of AI copyright bill
Worcester wind back to life with second-tier return and vow to clear debts
County Championship bursts back into life with calm before the storm