NEWS NOT FOUND
‘There are no winners’: global companies respond to Trump tariffs
Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs will upend global trade, adding costs and delays to businesses around the world and threatening a recession.The Guardian spoke to eight businesses about the impact.On the Italian island of Sardinia, makers of pecorino, the hard, salty sheep’s milk cheese, were digesting news of Trump’s tariffs. Up to 70% of their product is exported to the US.“We need to understand it better and wait and see if they really mean 20%, but obviously it has created some imbalance,” says Salvatore Pala, president of OP Unione Pastori, an association representing the island’s sheep and goat farmers
Tata redundancy scheme targeted older, non-Indian nationals in UK, tribunal hears
A UK division of the Indian conglomerate Tata “deliberately orchestrated” a redundancy programme in a way that unfairly targeted older, non-Indian nationals, an employment tribunal has heard.Three claimants allege the Mumbai-based Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), which is valued at almost £110bn on the BSE stock exchange in Mumbai, discriminated against them on grounds of age and nationality during a restructuring that began in mid-2023.The case mirrors a similar claim brought in the US, where at least 22 workers have alleged that TCS sacked them at short notice and replaced many of them with workers from India on H1-B visas, used for hiring staff with specialist skills.TCS denies both claims. It is part of the Tata group of companies, which includes Tetley Tea and Jaguar Land Rover
What Trump’s tariffs could mean for UK consumers
Donald Trump’s announcement that the US will put tariffs on goods from around the world, including a 10% charge on UK imports, has signalled the start of a global trade war.Although the UK faces a lower tariff than many other countries, for UK consumers there could still be some fallout. How it all plays out remains unclear.As it stands, the UK has not announced any retaliatory tariffs, so no US imports will leap in price. But if the government does decide to respond in kind, the prices of goods we buy in from the US could go up
Percy Pig’s US adventure may be short-lived as M&S responds to Trump tariffs
Percy Pig’s US invasion could be called to a halt amid fears that Donald Trump’s tariffs could affect sales of Marks & Spencer’s popular confectionery brand which has just launched in Target stores across the Atlantic.Archie Norman, the chair of M&S, has described Percy as the retailer’s “gift to America” but he told the Retail Technology Show in London that “we might have to change our minds” as Trump imposes additional taxes on imported goods. While M&S is not considering withdrawing the sweets, tariffs could push up prices and make them less popular.The pink confectionery which sells more than 18m bags a year in the UK and is apparently enjoyed by celebrities including Adele and Olivia Rodrigo, went on sale in the US on 30 March both in Target stores across the US and on its website in what was described as Percy’s “biggest journey to date”.The US president on Wednesday announced sweeping tariffs on imports, including a 10% tariff on those coming from the UK
Co-op to open at least 120 more grocery shops after profits rise five-fold
The Co-operative Group plans to open at least a further 120 grocery shops this year after profits rose more than fivefold, but told the government that “layering costs” on retailers could hit high streets and communities.The mutual, which owns more than 800 funeral parlours and an insurance and legal advisory business as well as operating more than 2,000 convenience shops, said changes to employers’ national insurance contributions (NICs) and packaging regulations were expected to add £80m to its costs this year. It also lost £80m to shoplifters last year despite spending millions on new security measures.The business is introducing technology including electronic shelf-edge pricing and expanding its fast-track online grocery deliveries – where sales soared 46% last year to £460m – to help offset higher labour costs.The Co-op’s chief executive, Shirine Khoury-Haq, said: “We understand the government has a tough job, but it should look at layering of costs on the industry so it doesn’t tip over the balance and impact high streets
Luton airport allowed to double capacity after UK government overrules planners
Luton airport will be allowed to almost double in capacity after the government overruled planning inspectors who recommended blocking the scheme on environmental grounds.The transport secretary, Heidi Alexander, granted a development consent order for the airport’s plans to expand its perimeter and add a new terminal, allowing for a potential 32 million passengers a year.The approval comes despite concerns raised about ancient trees and the impact of more flights on the Chilterns, an area of outstanding natural beauty.Labour sources, however, said the promise of thousands of additional jobs had outweighed environmental considerations.Luton airport is also ultimately owned by the local council, meaning that a greater share of its profits are put back into local services
Keir Starmer accuses Reform UK of ‘fawning over Putin’
Reeves defends Labour’s £40bn tax rise as businesses prepare for NICs hike
Starmer sails through PMQs as Badenoch fails to get out of the blocks again | John Crace
MPs’ attacks on judges a huge threat to the rule of law, says attorney general
Reeves says hasty response to Trump tariffs could put ‘prize’ of economic deal at risk – as it happened
Patrick Harvie to stand down as co-leader of Scottish Greens