Tories claim No 10 admission UK won’t avoid new US tariffs shows Starmer has failed to protect British business – as it happened

A picture


The Conservatives have criticised the government for failing to avert the threat of President Trump including the UK in his next round of tariffs,Responding to Downing Street saying this morning that it did not expect the UK to be exempt from the tariffs due to be announced on Wednesday (see 1,01pm), Andrew Griffith, the shadow business secretary, said:This news is potentially a hammer blow not just to British businesses and workers but to his own chancellor whose creative accounting at the emergency budget fails to include the impact of tariffsLabour claims talks with the US are going “well”,But, if this is what well looks like, I wouldn’t like to see what the opposite looks like,The prime minister has so far failed to come up with the goods, he needs to rekindle our US trade deal.

This is just further proof that, when Labour negotiates, Britain loses,Ministers expect the Sentencing Council to suspend plans for new sentencing guidelines that could have led to criminals getting different sentences depending on their age, sex and ethnicity,Downing Street says it expects the UK to be hit by more tariffs when Donald Trump announces his latest round of trade barriers on Wednesday, and said it “reserves the right” to respond to protect the national interest,The Conservatives claim that shows the government has failed to protect British business,(See 4.

17pm.)Keir Starmer has said Britons are “right” to be “angry about illegal migration”.(See 8.53am.)The Lib Dem leader Ed Davey has said his party can replace the Conservatives as the part of Middle England.

(See 11,11am,)Birmingham city council says it is declaring a major incident over the impact of the ongoing bin strike, as it estimates 17,000 tonnes of waste remains uncollected around the city, PA Media reports,PA says:Members of the Unite union in Birmingham are holding an all-out strike in a long-running dispute, after the scrapping of waste collection and recycling officer roles, which has led to rubbish piling up in the streets and residents complaining about rats,The council says daily blocking of its depots by pickets has meant workers cannot get their vehicles out to collect waste.

It said declaring a major incident will initially increase the availability of street cleansing and fly-tip removal, with an additional 35 vehicles and crews around the city,It will also allow the council to explore what further support is available from neighbouring authorities and the government, to help manage the situation, and work with partners to better manage health and fire risks that the build-up of rubbish is causing,A focus of the major incident will be on making sure bin lorries can safely enter and exit the council’s waste depots,Speaking in the Commons, Jim McMahon, communities minister, said the government did not have the power to intervene in the strike, but that he backed the council in declaring a major incident,He said:We encourage all parties to redouble their efforts to get around the table and to find a resolution.

To do this, any deal to end industrial action must maintain value for money and ensure fit-for-purpose waste collection services without creating or storing up liabilities for the future.Ministers expect the Sentencing Council to suspend plans for new sentencing guidelines that could have led to criminals getting different sentences depending on their age, sex and ethnicity, Jessica Elgot reports.Last month the Times reported that the government was considering offering the EU a youth mobility scheme as part of its attempt to reset relations with Brussels.“Under a plan to be tabled by British negotiators, tens of thousands of young EU workers and students would be able to come to the UK to live and work for two years, with the possibility of a one-year extension,” the paper said.“The reciprocal scheme would allow young Britons, aged 18-30, similar access to countries in the European Union.

”During Home Office questions in the Commons today, Lisa Smart, the Lib Dem home affairs spokesperson, said she was “delighted” to read the report which she said showed the government was adopting “a common sense approach that will give our young people opportunities and help grow our economy”.But Yvette Cooper, the home secretary, told Smart that the government was not planning to do what the Times had reported.She said:As the front bench spokesperson for the Liberal Democrats knows, that is not our plan, and we are clear that net migration needs to come down.It quadrupled under the previous Conservative government in the space of just four years.Those numbers need to come down.

In response to another question, from her Tory predecessor James Cleverly, the home secretary also refused to rule increasing the minimum income threshold for a migrant seeking a visa for a spouse or partner to join them in the UK.When Cleverly was home secretary, he raised the threshold to £29,000 for a visa of this kind, with plans to raise if futher to £38,700.When Cooper took office, she shelved plans for the rise to £38,700 pending a review.Cooper told Cleverly the government would outline its plans in a forthcoming white paper which she said include “measures to reduce net migration, including making sure that employers recruit and train here in the UK”.PA Media has more on impact on the UK of the new tariffs threatened by President Trump.

PA says:President Trump has already announced a 25% import tax will be introduced on all cars imported to the US, a measure which will be a blow to the UK’s automotive industry,Some 16,9% of UK car exports were to the US last year, representing a total of more than 101,000 units worth £7,6bn,The levy is on top of a series of tariffs set to come into effect on 2 April, which could include a general 20% tax on UK products in response to the rate of VAT, which Trump deems to be discriminatory against the US …The new tariffs could derail the government’s plans to grow the economy, and they come into force just after chancellor Rachel Reeves made a series of cuts at the spring statement in order to restore a narrow buffer in the public spending headroom.

Losses deepened for the UK’s FTSE 100 stock exchange, which was trading around 1.3% lower during Monday.European stocks are also still seeing sharp falls, and US markets have opened lower with the S&P 500 down about 1.4% in early trading.The budget watchdog has warned that a full-blown trade war, in which the UK responds in kind to Trump’s tariffs, could knock 1% off gross domestic product, a measure of the size of the economy, and wipe out Reeves’ headroom.

The government does not think it will be able to pass its emergency law allowing it to scrap the Sentencing Councils’s alleged “two-tier guidance” on pre-sentence reports before Easter, Henry Zeffman is reporting for the BBC.He says within government it has been argued that the legislation “would be obstructed in the House of Lords, especially by eminent lawyers, if the government were seen to be moving with excessive speed”.The Conservatives have criticised the government for failing to avert the threat of President Trump including the UK in his next round of tariffs.Responding to Downing Street saying this morning that it did not expect the UK to be exempt from the tariffs due to be announced on Wednesday (see 1.01pm), Andrew Griffith, the shadow business secretary, said:This news is potentially a hammer blow not just to British businesses and workers but to his own chancellor whose creative accounting at the emergency budget fails to include the impact of tariffsLabour claims talks with the US are going “well”.

But, if this is what well looks like, I wouldn’t like to see what the opposite looks like,The prime minister has so far failed to come up with the goods, he needs to rekindle our US trade deal,This is just further proof that, when Labour negotiates, Britain loses,Diana Johnson, the policing minister, has told MPs that there will be a review of a case in Hertfordshire that saw two parents arrested and detained for complaining about their daughter’s primary school,The case was raised by Oliver Dowden, the local MP and former Conservative deputy PM, who said it was an example of the police interfering with free expression.

He also complained about the fact that a councillor who took up the parents’ case was told by police that she might be recorded as a suspect in the harrassment investigation,Dowden said:Many constituents in my constituency are exasperated by the fact that when there’s shoplifting or burglary the police are unable to turn up, yet at the same time they were able to send six officers to get themselves involved with a dispute with a local school and to warn local elected representatives off getting involved,Sadly, this misallocation of resources and unwarranted police over-reach is not an isolated example,So, can I urge the minister to avoid engaging in political pointscoring and instead join me in sending a very clear message from both sides of this house that our expectation is that the police should be focused on solving real crimes and stay out of legitimate free expression and democratic debate,In response, Johnson said:This is an operational matter for policing and it’s quite clear the chief constable and the police and crime commissioner have set out that there will be a review of what happened in that particular case.

The UK and Finland are “tied hip-to-hip” on Nato, Finnish president Alexander Stubb has said at a meeting with Keir Starmer in Downing Street.(See 2.57pm.)Stubb also praised the leadership Starmer was showing on Ukraine, saying he felt the UK was now “back in the game”.Speaking to the media in Downing Street, Stubb said much of his family had dual Finland-UK nationality and added: “Keir and I hit it off, in the beginning, straight off the bat.

”He added:I’m really glad to see the leadership the UK is showing, not least in the war in Ukraine,And in many ways, in my mind, the UK is back, back in the game,We’ve had an interesting week in many ways, last week in Paris with the coalition of the willing, many phone calls with Zelensky, myself meeting President Trump on Saturday, and we continue the conversations today and try to find solutions together,But I think Finland and the UK are tied hip-to-hip and in so many places, including Nato and of course, JEF (Joint Expeditionary Force] which you guys founded,Starmer said “on all the important issues, whether it’s Ukraine or other global issues” the UK and Finland were “very closely aligned”.

He added: “And certainly I think the closer we can work together on some of these challenges, the better,”The Labour peer Shami Chakrabarti told the World at One she thinks the government should have “pushed back” at the Tory claims that the new guidelines from the Sentencing Council amount to “two-tier justice”,Chakrabarti, who was shadow attorney general when Jeremy Corbyn was Labour leader and who before that head of Liberty, the campaign group, said she thought Robert Jenrick, the shadow justice secretary, has misrepresented what the guidelines were doing,They say judges should require pre-sentence reports before offenders from certain groups, including ethnic minorities, get sentenced,Chakrabarti said this was a response to evidence showing there is structural discrimination against minorities in sentencing.

She said:I certainly don’t think of that giving this kind of advice [a pre-sentence report] amounts to two-tier justice, and I think the government should have pushed back against that narrative …I’m nervous that with Reform on the rise, and the Conservatives running scared from Reform, the government is presented with this choice and with these pressures, and it’s too easy to be drawn to the right on matters of rights, freedoms and justice.I would urge caution on that.And I would urge caution when it comes to interfering either with independent judges or with a Sentencing Council that ought to be independent of government.Sarah Montague, the presenter, asked Chakrabarti to respond to an argument made by the columnist Stephen Bush in the FT explaining why the guidelines can be seen as unfair.Bush says:If we think that pre-sentence reports result in judges making better decisions, it’s not fair for some offenders to be the beneficiary of better decisions and for others to not be.

Just as an illustration of that, 64 per cent of young offenders from “other” ethnic groups are eligible for free school meals (compared with about a quarter of the school-age population), while 63 per cent of young offenders from a “Black” minority background are.It seems a fair assumption that not having very much money is an aggravating factor for going on to commit a crime.So why should the 52 per cent of young “white” offenders eligible for FSM not automatically qualify for a pre-sentence report?Chakrabarti said in an ideal world she would like every offender to have a pre-sentence report.When it was put to her that this was not feasible, she said a range of factors should decide whether resources should be spent on a pre-sentence report.If the offender comes from a different background to the sentencer, the sentencer should be more inclined to learn more about them via a pre-sentence report, she said.

sportSee all
A picture

Charlotte Edwards to make England players ‘accountable for their fitness’

Charlotte Edwards has promised to make England’s players “more accountable for their fitness” as she seeks to improve the team’s fortunes after her appointment as women’s head coach.The 45-year-old insisted that despite England women’s recent troubles against Australia they were capable of winning this year’s 50-over World Cup in India, saying she was “really confident we can turn things around very quickly”. Jon Lewis was sacked as coach last month after a miserable winter in which group-stage elimination at the T20 World Cup was followed by a 16-0 rout in the Ashes.Clare Connor, the England and Wales Cricket Board’s managing director of England women, led a “very thorough, comprehensive and honest” review of that series which “told us that we did need a significant reset in terms of leadership and the environment”.The ECB chose to abandon its normal open recruitment process once it became clear that Edwards, who since retiring as a player had enjoyed success as a coach with Hampshire, Mumbai Indians and Sydney Sixers, would accept the job

A picture

Lions set to face Japan-based All Blacks in Anzac clash but Folau’s hopes over

The British & Irish Lions are set to face a number of former All Blacks with Rugby Australia’s chief executive, Phil Waugh, confident players based in Japan can be recruited for the Anzac fixture in July. Waugh also confirmed that players who have represented Australia and New Zealand but subsequently switched nationality will not be considered, ending Israel Folau’s hopes of appearing in another Lions series and ruling out Charles Piutau.The Lions will lock horns with an invitational Australia and New Zealand side for the first time since 1989. When the fixture was announced in 2023, the then Australia head coach, Eddie Jones, turned his nose up, saying: “I don’t want to be involved with the Kiwis.” With the former All Blacks head coach Ian Foster leading the combined side, Waugh believes the fixture in Adelaide will have star appeal

A picture

Grand National gets taps turned on to ensure safe ground after long dry spell

Jon Pullin, the acting clerk of the course at Aintree, said on Wednesday that he will do whatever it takes to ensure the Grand National meeting opens ton Thursday on good-to-soft groundThis will be despite unusually low levels of rainfall in the weeks running up to one of jump racing’s showpiece events.March was one of the sunniest on record for much of the UK and watering of the track is likely to continue overnight once racing is under way to ensure the going is as safe as possible for horses that will be taking off and landing at least eight times in every race.“We’ve been watering since the week beginning 17th March and we’re now up to an average of 60-65mm across the track, with some areas having had more and some a little less,” Pullin said.“We’re watering again today and it’s a warm and breezy afternoon with a similar forecast, if not a degree or two warmer, for tomorrow. So we’re hoping to certainly start with good-to-soft as the lead description and then we’ll reassess after racing as to what we may or may not need to do

A picture

Pérez in talks with teams about F1 return as Lawson reflects on demotion

The former Red Bull driver Sergio Pérez says he is in talks with Formula One teams about a return to the grid after having his contract ended two years early. The 35-year-old Mexican, who won six races during his 14 years in F1, was replaced at Red Bull this season by Liam Lawson, who also struggled and was quickly demoted after two races. “Especially last year, I didn’t get to show what I’m able to do as a driver,” Pérez told the F1 website. “Now, all of a sudden, people realise how difficult the car is to drive.”Pérez said he had been “approached by a few teams since Abu Dhabi”, a reference to his final race last December as teammate to the eventual champion, Max Verstappen

A picture

After devastating BMX injury, Kai Sakakibara makes winning return as para cyclist | Kieran Pender

Five years after a crash that left him with a life-changing brain injury the former Olympic hopeful has a national title to his name – and his sights set on the ParalympicsFive years ago, Kai Sakakibara’s life nearly came to an end doing what he loved – bike racing. At a BMX world cup event in Bathurst, the Olympic hopeful was heading downhill into a turn when his front wheel seemed to buckle. The momentum saw Sakakibara slam headfirst into the dirt, causing carnage as a rider behind him tried to avoid the inevitable collision. In a split second, Sakakibara suffered a devastating brain injury.It was unclear whether Sakakibara, who was 23 at the time, would survive

A picture

The Spin | Intriguing and deep list of overseas stars head for County Championship

Those of us lucky enough to watch county cricket in the 1980s, with a packet of Salt’n’Shake in one hand and an autograph book in the other, could tick off Viv Richards at Somerset, Malcolm Marshall at Hampshire, Michael Holding at Derbyshire (imagine!) and Courtney Walsh at Gloucestershire in only a couple of games. And that was just for starters.The growth of franchise cricket means that players at the peak of their powers will rarely now sign on the dotted line to spend their entire summer in northern climes perfecting their red-ball skills. But the appeal remains, like a sudden blast of Madonna’s Into the Groove from a passing car as you wait for the lights to change. The 2025 County Championship overseas roster is an intriguing one