Charlotte Edwards ‘relishing winning trophies’ as England’s new head coach

A picture


The appointment of Charlotte Edwards as the new England women’s head coach has been warmly welcomed, with former teammate Lydia Greenway saying “everyone should be really excited by this appointment”.“The one thing with Lottie is the standards she sets, and what she expects of you as a player,” Greenway told the BBC.“I’ve got no doubt in my mind that she’ll go into that group and set out her expectations and her standards from the word go.”The former England captain had put her hat in the ring in February, when changes were expected after a disastrous winter tour of Australia.England were whitewashed in the Ashes 16-0 with barely a whimper and plagued by accusations of fitness and attitude problems.

After a review, the head coach Jon Lewis and the captain Heather Knight were sacked by the England and Wales Cricket Board,Edwards’ immediate challenges are home series against India and West Indies, before the 50-over World Cup in India and a home T20 World Cup in 2026,But, most urgently, she must appoint a new captain from slim pickings before England’s first game against West Indies at Canterbury on 21 May,“It means the world to me to have the three lions on my chest once again,” Edwards said,“Leading England as captain was my life for 10 years and I will forever be passionate about this team and our legacy.

We have such a talented group of players, and I am excited about working with them and improving them both as individuals and as a team.“We have the immediate challenge of two home summer series, and then it’s straight into the ICC Women’s World Cup in India this autumn, with a home ICC Women’s T20 World Cup next summer.There’s also the mouth-watering prospect of the first ever Olympics for women’s cricket in LA 2028.I’m relishing the prospect of winning trophies and taking this team forward.”The 45-year-old’s illustrious England career, in which she won five Ashes series and both the 50- and 20-over World Cups, came to an end in 2016 when, after 10 years as captain, she was ushered out of the job by the then coach, Mark Robinson.

Since hanging up her playing boots in 2018, Edwards has proved to be an equally adept coach.Her achievements include two Women’s Premier League titles with Mumbai Indians, the Hundred in 2023 with Southern Brave and five domestic trophies with the dominant Southern Vipers.She will leave her job at Hampshire to join England.Sign up to The SpinSubscribe to our cricket newsletter for our writers' thoughts on the biggest stories and a review of the week’s actionafter newsletter promotionClare Connor, the managing director of women’s cricket at the ECB, called Edwards “a proven winner”.“When we drew up the criteria for the job it became apparent very quickly that Charlotte was the outstanding candidate.

“She has the experience, passion and expertise to lead this team to success.The results she has achieved as a head coach in multiple environments, since retiring as one of the greatest ever England players, is testament to her relentless drive and the standards she sets for those around her.”
politicsSee all
A picture

Patrick Harvie to stand down as co-leader of Scottish Greens

Patrick Harvie, the UK’s longest serving parliamentary leader, has announced he is standing down as co-convener of the Scottish Greens after nearly 17 years in the role.An MSP since 2003, Harvie, 52, had recently taken leave of absence from Holyrood for an operation and recuperation. He announced on Wednesday he would not contest this summer’s party leadership election.The MSP said it had been “an extraordinary privilege” to have led the party. He became the first Green politician in the UK to serve in government, along with his co-convener, Lorna Slater, in a power-sharing deal he brokered with Nicola Sturgeon in 2021

A picture

UK prepared for all eventualities, says Starmer as new Trump tariffs loom

The UK has “prepared for all eventualities” when it comes to looming US tariffs, with no response ruled out, Keir Starmer has told MPs before Donald Trump’s so-called liberation day, which could spark a global trade war.Challenged by Kemi Badenoch, the Conservative leader, at prime minister’s questions on Wednesday, Starmer said while all options were being considered, he would avoid any kneejerk reactions.Starmer told the Commons in his opening remarks: “Let me be clear with the house, a trade war is in nobody’s interest, and the country deserves, and we will take, a calm, pragmatic approach.“That is why constructive talks are progressing to agree a wider economic prosperity deal with the US. That is why we are working with all industries and sectors likely to be impacted

A picture

UK won’t engage in ‘kneejerk’ response to Trump tariffs, says minister

The UK government will not engage in a “kneejerk” response to any tariffs imposed by Donald Trump, as it warned there would be a “difficult period” ahead in trade relations with the US and called for calm.The US president is to announce his latest round of tariffs on Wednesday – which he has called “liberation day” – sparking concerns over a global trade war.The prime minister, Keir Starmer, and the chancellor, Rachel Reeves, will face questions from MPs in parliament before the anticipated new tariffs that could derail their economic plans.Speaking before the announcement, Bridget Phillipson, the education secretary, said the government had been “working through every eventuality”.“We do recognise this is likely to be a very challenging period,” she told BBC Breakfast

A picture

Disabled MPs speak of difficulties they face working in UK parliament

MPs with disabilities have spoken about the challenges they face working in parliament, criticising the “insane” lack of provisions and arcane, time-consuming procedures.Lucy Powell, the Commons leader, who also chairs its modernisation committee, said she would be “very in favour of” bringing in call lists for when MPs will speak, one of the adjustments called for by MPs in the committee. Such lists are used for ministerial questions but not for debates, beyond a period during Covid.Powell was speaking after the committee heard evidence from a series of current and former MPs with disabilities about the difficulties of working in the parliamentary estate. Marie Tidball, a Labour MP elected in 2024, said she had been given an accessible office and that staff and party whips had been very helpful but said the method of speaking in Commons debates was very hard for her

A picture

Kemi Badenoch gives credence to race-swap conspiracy theory about Adolescence but admits she hasn’t watched it – as it happened

Kemi Badenoch has given credence to a conspiracy theory about the Netflix hit Adolescence being based on a real story, but involving a black boy not a white boy.This has been described as wholly untrue by Jack Thorne, the writer and co-creator of the series, which has been praised by Keir Starmer for the way it has opened up a debate about the radicalisation of young men.Starmer met Thorne, and some of the shows other creators, in Downing Street this week, along with charities engaged in child protection, and the PM said he would like as many pupils as possible to watch the series.The four-part drama is about a 13-year-old boy arrested for the murder of a girl at his school. The Guardian’s reviewer described it as “the most devastating and immaculately scripted and played series I have ever seen – as close to televisual perfection as you can get”

A picture

A sketch writers’ benefit? An April fool? Either way, big thanks to Mel and Kemi | John Crace

There was a time when you knew where you were with a press conference. You would go along on the assumption that the person or organisation who had called it had something important to say. Something that might approximate to news.But we live in ever more confusing days. So now we’ve reached the point where Kemi Badenoch and Mel Stride will do almost anything for attention