Trump to consider final proposal on TikTok as US ban deadline looms

A picture


Donald Trump will consider a “final proposal” over the sale of TikTok’s US operations on Wednesday, according to reports, as a Saturday deadline looms for the Chinese-controlled app to find a buyer.The White House is finalising plans for a deal involving US investors, possibly including the tech firm Oracle and the private equity firm Blackstone, CBS News reported.Even Amazon has thrown in a last-minute bid to buy the popular social media app, according to multiple reports.TikTok’s parent, the Beijing-based ByteDance, has until 5 April to sell the app’s US unit or be banned in the country, under an executive order signed by the US president.The potential transaction, which is reportedly a “final proposal”, will involve new investors such as Blackstone joining existing non-Chinese shareholders in ByteDance in providing fresh capital to bid for the business, Reuters reported.

The US vice-president, JD Vance, the commerce secretary, Howard Lutnick, the national security adviser, Mike Waltz, and the director of national intelligence, Tulsi Gabbard, will meet in the Oval Office on Wednesday to discuss the issue, Reuters reported.In the closely watched sale of TikTok, the White House is playing the role of an investment bank, with Vance running the auction.ByteDance’s existing non-Chinese shareholders are led by the US trading firm Susquehanna International Group and the private equity firm General Atlantic.On Sunday, Trump said a deal with ByteDance to sell the short-video app used by 170 million Americans would be struck before Saturday’s deadline.“We have a lot of potential buyers,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One.

“There’s tremendous interest in TikTok,” He added: “I’d like to see TikTok remain alive,”Trump is preparing to announce global tariffs on what he has called “liberation day” on Wednesday,Last week, he said he would be willing to reduce tariffs on China to get a TikTok deal done,Trump set the deadline in January for TikTok to find a non-Chinese buyer or face a US ban on national security grounds, due to have taken effect that month under a 2024 law.

The US venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz is also in discussions to invest in TikTok as part of the deal, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday,While Amazon has reportedly added its name to the potential list of buyers, via an offer letter it sent to Vance and Lutnick, the New York Times reports that people involved in the negotiations do not seem to be taking the bid seriously,Sign up to Business TodayGet set for the working day – we'll point you to all the business news and analysis you need every morningafter newsletter promotionThe talks on TikTok’s future are coalescing around a plan for the biggest non-Chinese investors in ByteDance to raise their stakes and acquire the short-video app’s US operations, Reuters reported last month,Trump said last month his administration was in touch with four different groups about a prospective TikTok deal, without identifying them,Amazon declined to comment.

TikTok, Blackstone, Oracle and Andreessen Horowitz did not immediately respond to requests for comment,
businessSee all
A picture

Co-op to open at least 120 more grocery shops after profits rise five-fold

The Co-operative Group plans to open at least a further 120 grocery shops this year after profits rose more than fivefold, but told the government that “layering costs” on retailers could hit high streets and communities.The mutual, which owns more than 800 funeral parlours and an insurance and legal advisory business as well as operating more than 2,000 convenience shops, said changes to employers’ national insurance contributions (NICs) and packaging regulations were expected to add £80m to its costs this year. It also lost £80m to shoplifters last year despite spending millions on new security measures.The business is introducing technology including electronic shelf-edge pricing and expanding its fast-track online grocery deliveries – where sales soared 46% last year to £460m – to help offset higher labour costs.The Co-op’s chief executive, Shirine Khoury-Haq, said: “We understand the government has a tough job, but it should look at layering of costs on the industry so it doesn’t tip over the balance and impact high streets

A picture

Luton airport allowed to double capacity after UK government overrules planners

Luton airport will be allowed to almost double in capacity after the government overruled planning inspectors who recommended blocking the scheme on environmental grounds.The transport secretary, Heidi Alexander, granted a development consent order for the airport’s plans to expand its perimeter and add a new terminal, allowing for a potential 32 million passengers a year.The approval comes despite concerns raised about ancient trees and the impact of more flights on the Chilterns, an area of outstanding natural beauty.Labour sources, however, said the promise of thousands of additional jobs had outweighed environmental considerations.Luton airport is also ultimately owned by the local council, meaning that a greater share of its profits are put back into local services

A picture

Zonal electricity pricing plan could add £3bn a year to GB bills, report finds

Plans to overhaul England, Wales and Scotland’s electricity market risk piling an extra £3bn on to household energy bills every year until the 2040s, according to the government’s own clean power adviser.New research has found that moving ahead with a plan to divide the national electricity market into different pricing zones could drive up the cost of building new windfarms as the government aims for a renewable energy boom before the end of the decade.Ed Miliband, the energy secretary, hopes to double Great Britain’s onshore wind capacity, triple solar and quadruple offshore wind farms to help create a clean power system by 2030.But uncertainty over the plans for “postcode electricity pricing” could mean that developers of renewable energy demand higher subsidies to offset the risk, according to the research, which could raise household energy bills or even delay clean energy investments.The report by the UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC) warned that an upcoming auction for renewable energy subsidy contracts could clear at £20 per megawatt-hour higher than expected if the zonal market plans were adopted

A picture

Trump’s tariffs: the full list

The president displayed the top of his list from a podium in the White House Rose Garden, and later published a longer version. Note that the “tariffs charged to the USA” in Trump’s formulation include “trade barriers” so don’t necessarily align with the tariffs published by countries concerned.

A picture

Royal Mail takeover deal by Czech billionaire to be finalised this month

The £3.6bn takeover of Royal Mail’s parent company will be completed this month, nearly a year after it was first agreed, as the Czech billionaire Daniel Křetínský cleared the final regulatory hurdles standing in the way.International Distribution Services (IDS), the owner of the 508-year-old Royal Mail, said on Thursday the deal “may become or be declared unconditional” by 30 April, after a delay due to issues in Romania.The most pressing issue, UK government approval, was clinched in December after a state review of national security laws.However, Křetínský’s company had warned in March that the deal might not be finalised until the second quarter of this year due to regulatory issues relating to foreign direct investment in Romania

A picture

‘We introduced avocado to the high street!’ How Pret conquered London – and began eyeing the rest of the world

At 93-95 Victoria Street, Westminster, a blue plaque marks a piece of London history: the first ever branch of Pret a Manger opened on this spot on 22 July 1986. Nearly 40 years later, it is still going strong.It’s a nice story – but it’s not the whole story. Look closer and the plaque states that the first Pret sandwich shop opened “near here”. In fact, it was down the road, at 75b, now a branch of Toni & Guy